OMNIGRIP HF is a high friction surface treatment (HFST) which is a thin overlay applied to asphalt and / or concrete roads and highways to improve surface friction and resulting in decreased braking distances and threshold impact speeds in emergency situations.
Crash Reduction Benefits
A High Friction Surface Treatment like OmniGrip HF is an internationally proven road safety solution. OmniGrip HF is a ‘silent saver’ – drivers and riders won’t know its there until they need it.
The Crash Reduction Factor for OmniGrip HF ranges from 40% for all casualty crashes, up to 80% for wet weather crashes. When braking suddenly, a vehicle’s stopping distance is reduced enabling the driver to either avoid the collision or crash at a reduced speed. This could transform what would have been a serious injury crash into one where people walk away.
OmniGrip HF is a vital component of a road manager’s Safe System road safety strategy that aims to eliminate injury on roads.
How it works
Comprised of a thermosetting cross-linking modified compound, the OmniGrip HF system is engineered to hold a high PSV aggregate, such as calcined bauxite, permanently in position so that it doesn’t become embedded or displaced under the heaviest of braking. This ensures consistently high skid resistance and reduced braking distances over the design life of the system.
Upon curing the OmniGrip HF system is resistant to road contaminates including oil, petrol and de-icing salts with excellent adhesion to asphalt and concrete surfaces.
Road Safety Benefits
- Whole of Life Skid Resistance
- Sideways Co-efficient of Friction Levels > 0.85
- Increased Surface Texture
- Up to 33% Reduction in Vehicle Braking Distances
- Reduced Threshold Braking Speeds
- Crash Reduction Factor (CRF) > 40%
- Proven 12 years plus design life
- Approaches to School & Pedestrian Crossings
- Intersections & Roundabouts
- Tight Radius Corners and Slip Lanes
- Steep Inclines / Declines
- Freeway Ramps
- Winding Country Highways and Roads
- Sharp Bends and Corners in Urban Areas
- Black Spot Locations
- Black Lengths
- Australian Government Black Spot Program
GRANT FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
Applications of HFST can meet eligibility criteria for State and Federal Grants. This includes the Australian Government’s COVID-19 Local Government stimulus grant scheme, the Local Roads and Community Infrastructure Program.
- Local Roads and Community Infrastructure Program
- Federal Black Spot Programme
- Victorian TAC Local Government Grants
The following guides are available to help road managers considering how HFST can reduce crashes, reduce injuries and save lives.